Sunday, May 10, 2020

Yet Another GLOG Hack

Here's yet another hack based off Skerples' GLOG rules and The Black Hack 2E.

I made it to solve specific issues at my table (see below)

There's two version: v0.2 is really just the GLOG and the Black Hack mashed up, while v0.5 incorporates all sorts of other, weirder changes: fast combat from Into the Odd, thoughts on inventory systems from DIY & Dragons, Arnold K's popcorn-treasure, and other tinkering.

v 0.2 (GLOG+Black Hack)

v 0.5 (All sorts of stuff, like a stir-fry)


ISSUES IT'S TRYING TO SOLVE:

- As little math as possible.
Everything is either Advantage/Disadvantage or stepping die sizes up or down

- Inventory systems count as math. Buying supplies takes FOREVER. Players are bored by book-keeping.
This is the least OSR thing, maybe. All adventuring gear is simplified down to 1 of 4 generic packages: Supplies, Camp Gear, Tools, and Torches. If 1 player has a package, there's enough for everyone. Packages either can be tested for special bonuses, or are there for the GM to impose location/time pressure. The party starts with all 4 packages and can dive right in. 

- Players don't really care about inventory slots in short sessions.
Limited inventory systems. Armour takes up a lot of slots. Treasure is always Bulky. 

- High-level players are hitpoint sinks
GLOG tops out at Level 4 for class templates. HP is low across the board. The Black Hack's armour system is there to give players an 'out', but extended adventuring is a risky choice. No heal-bot clerics: you get a weird priest type instead, who's like a very religious bard.

- Magic is a bit boring in TBH
I just used the GLOG's magic system. 

- Low investment in XP / What kind of tone are we going for here?
This could just be my table: my players don't really care about the Black Hack's XP systems, so I created 3 so they could choose a tone they wanted.

- No retirement tables
I made a retirement table. 

- I quite like mutation tables. The Black Hack one is a bit gonzo, isn't it?
I made a less gonzo mutation table.


HEY U FORGOT MONSTER STATS

For monsters, all you need is a Level (i.e. a hit die), an armour value from 1 to 3 (which functions as straight damage resistance), a damage die, and a list of special abilities.

As so:

Ogre (Level 5), Armour 2, d10.
(Seize and fling. Test Dex or be grabbed and thrown at another PC. d8 to 2 PCs)


----

Salt and pepper with your favourite subsystems as you wish.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I'm a member of the italian osr community and I loved your glog hack. I started translating it into Italian to use it at my table, but I'd like to be able to spread it throughout the community 'cause I'm really excited about it. In this regard, I'm writing to ask you for permission to publish it on my blog and to disseminate it among Italian players. I really hope you'll want to agree!

    Thanks
    Pedro Celeste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'd be more than happy about that!

      Just a heads-up: I'm not using these rules any more. I've switched to Enthusiastic Pirate Bois (in the sidebar), which have seen further revisions. I personally find those rules a bit tighter :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much!
      I'll take a look at the Enthusiastic Pirate Bois and maybe translate that too, sooner or later. :)

      Thanks again
      Pedro Celeste

      Delete